Lace designing

I am narrowing in on a shawl design. First, I think I am anatomically incapable of knitting someone else's design without at least tinkering with it. Sharon Miller (Heirloom Knitting) says that is a good way to break into designing: changing this or that on someone else's design. I sometimes do this. I used to do it more, so perhaps she is right.
Now, however, I am more likely to envisage what I want, loosely or precisely defined in my mind and on paper, and go after it step by step. Sometimes I take bits and pieces from somewhere else, and sometimes not. For instance, I'll briefly show you the process of design I followed on a shawl I knit this spring.
I took a shape I like (Faroese); I tinkered with an edging I liked to make it suit the picture in my mind, and knit a bunch of repeats for the bottom edge of the shawl. If you have the book Victorian Lace Today, by Jane Sowerby, you might recognize part of this edging. I chopped off the top, which did not fit my plan nor behave the way I wanted, and just simplified it to a pretty, picot-covered little frilly thing. (I'd show you the swatches but I think they are up the hill with all the rest of my knitting-things-not-needed-till-this-house-sells stuff).

Then I picked up stitches all along the edge to knit up on the body.

The whole time I was working the 800 repeats of the edging (OK so maybe it was only 90 repeats, but with all the little picot points it sure felt like 800)-- that whole time, ideas for the body were percolating. Flowers, gardens, shrubs, roses-- these were most of my thoughts; also I wanted to include traditional Shetland lace elements. I realize that the result thereof can be neither Faroese, nor Shetland, nor any other tradition, exclusively; but it is mine--which was my aim.

So roses, trees, ferns and the like became part of the body lace patterns: ...and I kept on going with basic Faroese-inspired shaping until I finished.
Here it is, back...
and front:
A simple little shoulder shawl, perfect for the summer.
The yarn is called "Shine" from Joslyn's Fiber Farm. Needles were old Susan Bates Nylon needles in, I believe, a 3mm needle on the small side of 3mm.

OK.

Now, however, I have more of a traditional Shetland shawl in mind. Square, delicate (but probably not knit with cobweb weight yarn, nor Wedding Ring shawl-like... though I am not yet ruling anything out). I started out thinking I'd knit one of Sharon Miller's designs exactly as she designed it. (see here)

Well, I am not going to do that. I love part of her center plan, however, and have started some swatches. First, Jaggerspun Zephyr in Vanilla, blocked:
Sorry about the flash, the swatch was on my bureau which is more reflective than I realized. (Ah, and whoops, I just noticed I loaded it upside down. Oh well. Sorry...)

Pretty nice, hm? Perhaps the solid portions are too airy? Perhaps a smaller needle? I will do that, but first I tried a different yarn.

Tongue River Farm laceweight, half Icelandic lambswool, half kid mohair. (It is here) An odd yarn, it is crisp and hairy un-washed. I almost stopped knitting it halfway thru the swatch, see how it looks un-stretched:I wasn't sure what it would do. Since it is still on the needle I just pinned it out to show you how it opens up.

Pretty amazing transformation, huh? That is one of the things that thrills my soul with lace: metamorphosis from crumpled fabric to a thing of great delicacy and beauty.

Final blocking after a good bath often reveals something very different about a yarn, so even though I am not currently thinking that the Icelandic mix is the yarn for this project, I may change my mind.

(Oh and of course it will become *something*. I am a huge Icelandic yarn enthusiast-- how can you not love a fiber from a sheep that has remained essentially unchanged for more than a thousand years, and is in all probability much the same as the wool Leif Eriksson wore?? And there are a lot of shawls in this that I have yet to try.) (See Schoolhouse Press)

More next time, hoping to include some other yarns (Grignasco's Merino Silk, eg) and show my Icelandic swatch fresh from its bath.
Happy Friday.

Comments

fleegle said…
Fabulous! You should sell the pattern. Lots of folks would buy it (Including me!)

Popular posts from this blog

If it's December I must be making another Very Warm Hat

Pelerine Complete

Pelerine