Loose ends

Lest I leave you thinking my property is still a parking lot for huge power equipment, let me show you the new high point in the state of NJ: Mount Septic. The ski lifts go in next week.

That's one loose end. Here's another, but it's not tied off yet:
I have made some progress, thanks only to soccer games and practices. Progress has been hindered by the design method I am using on this shawl: chart and knit. Contemplate an even better idea; chart madly; knit madly; stop and contemplate, chart, imagine... and knit madly again. Because I want it to hug my shoulders, I have worked in extra increases, which wreaked havoc on my charts (wait, I forgot to leave room for these extra sts) and I invented all sorts of odd ways to show them. Surprisingly, it has been an easy knit. I apologize for the photo, I enlisted a son to hold some parts as the (short) needle is overwhelmed by the sts which keep trying to escape.

This is another loose end: a sweater I finished in the early part of the summer. Knit top down, raglan shaping, following the method Barbara Walker discusses in her Knitting From the Top Down, it was incredibly fun to knit. I did not allow myself to check any of my numbers with any of my usual methods (Sweater Wizard or Elizabeth Zimmermann concepts) but forced myself to knit it with measurements and computations as Barbara Walker suggests. The result is, I could not begin to write down the pattern (for Jane, if you see this, I can give you a big picture concept and charts... will that do?)
On the other hand, the result is perfect and fits like a dream.
Photos for this blog are kicking my fanny-- I cannot get color and contrast to come out on the blog, even if it's right on my computer. Urk.
Anyway, the cable (Four Rib Braid, either Treasury 1 or 2 from Barbara Walker) runs down the center front; a different one down the sleeves. The sleeve cable is just a classic 2x2 rope braid, but every 3 crosses (I think) I made it open up into a loop.
Sadly, none of these photos show you how it fits, which is the real thrill. They also don't show you that I had only 2 yards of yarn left at the end (I think. Maybe 4. I forget, now).
That is one advantage to checking myself on Sweater Wizard-- Carole Wulster's program gives excellent "yarn required" estimates.
I think Linda has some better photos on her blog from just after Camp. Try here. Though now that I look at it, she only shows one sleeve. Oh well. I do have a photo that came yesterday, on my CD of Camp photos (thanks Al!!!) but I need to check with him before using it.

Finally, I got around to blocking my Cuff to Cuff sweater. Just in time, too, as the weather here turned beautifully cool (downright chilly in the AM) and I needed the warmth of the wool/alpaca yarn.
I wish I could show you the hand of this sweater's fabric: it drapes beautifully, and is smooth and almost creamy at the same time. Warm and soft. I envision lots of future sweaters knit from it, both color-work and solid/textured. (Berroco's Ultra Alpaca in worsted weight. You may remember I got the yarn at Knitting Camp in July...)

I love the way the sleeve and body flow (thanks, Meg, for a great design) (Wool Gathering 72, Schoolhouse Press). (Actually I think she's out of the original WG, and you need to get the Spun Out.)
Here's the underside of the sleeve, which fits into a slightly inset but otherwise square armhole.
I decreased on the underside.
From wearing it all week...? This is now my all time favorite sweater. Hands down. Even including that fab pink cabled thing above. This one feels like a hug from a friend. Maybe I need to knit one for a friend...







Comments

Nancy said…
Terrific sweaters! Shawl is coming along so nicely. My gansey and Mimbres vest are both red and the best pic I can get is in semi-darkness with flash. And still not true color, but better...
fleegle said…
That side-to-side sweater is amazing!

Chart and knit? That's even more amazing!

Sorry your colors are being difficult, but I do like hot pink ;)
Linda said…
Hey Maggie.

I've got one more photo I took, and I'll be happy to email it to you if you want. It's not great, but you're more than welcome to it.

Glad to see they got the septic done. And the cuff to cuff is great!
Anonymous said…
I volunteer happily to be that friend!! What a gorgeous sweater the cuff-to-cuff is and what a fantabulous knitter you are. Thanks for sharing........I learn a lot from reading your blog.
Jaya said…
Hi Maggie,
I have a picture of the braided sweater that I'll send to you.

I love the way the alpaca sweater turned out. It is absolutely gorgeous!

Popular posts from this blog

If it's December I must be making another Very Warm Hat

Pelerine Complete

Pelerine