I must be unhinged.
Yesterday I started a new project (let us not even count the already existing projects, aka wips). The project, yes, requires those shorter circular needles and their annoyingly short grip-this-part-of-the-needle parts.
It is-- another Very Warm Hat.
I have never had such a dramatic response from my family, to something that I knit.
Consider the Awesomeness of Elizabeth Zimmermann:  
  1. My son-#2-in-Colorado (where let me tell you the high yesterday was 6 degrees Fahrenheit so he really wants his hat) is hourly checking the progress of the hat I mailed to him on Tuesday morning. 
  2. Sons #1 and #3 have both admired the finished hats, and politely indicated they might, in fact, want one. 
  3. Husband loves his and wears it literally any time he goes outside in the cold. Even, sometimes, to work.  
  4. My daughter, who otherwise considers me Far From Cool (which I consider quite the compliment, frankly, when I see what passes for Cool) also likes it and, um, kind of wants one. Amazing.

I wish I had met EZ but, let me tell you, Meg Swansen, her daughter and knitter extraordinaire, is pretty darn awesome too :)
(Sorry, followed a rabbit trail there.)

So, walking with the dog yesterday it was cold- no, not Winnipeg or Minot, ND cold, but pretty cold. I thought to myself, "gee, I could sure use one of those Warm hats... I have that leftover red wool/alpaca yarn, and some white or beige or cream..."  By the time I got home an hour later I had it all planned out.  Estonian braids, color work, fun stuff.

I had forgotten The Hands.

So the good thing is, because they are still sore when moved in certain ways, I can adjust my knitting grip/motions/etc in direct response to my hand twinges.  Very helpful.
The bad thing is that I have to work for short intervals and take lots of breaks.
I realized that I grip the needles far too tightly, in a wrong-headed attempt to control my loose-knitter tendencies. But if I hold them very lightly, and rest/anchor my left hand on something solid-ish (like the table in front of me or my lap) I can totally eliminate the small almost-spastic actions my left hand was doing with EVERY STITCH (yup, I think that was a shout- but of amazement).
Seriously, a great insight. I had no idea what my hands were actually doing.


PS I am experimenting with the structure of my blog, apologies if it seems to be going through seriously contorted growing pains!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

If it's December I must be making another Very Warm Hat

Pelerine Complete

Pelerine