I Love January Knitting

I love knitting in January.

All the chaos (joyous though it is) of Thanksgiving and Christmas is over, the decorations are stored (well, sort of stored.)



Carrying them upstairs to the attic is on my list for the day.  Really. Promise!
Don't believe me, eh?
All right I will go do it right now.  Hold on a sec...
Done. 
Wow. Easy. (accountability-by-blog 👍) 

So- back to "I love January Knitting."
Anything warm and wooly that I start, I have a fighting chance of finishing in time to be useful before the warm weather arrives. 
The possibilities seem endless.  
The year seems endless.
Even with the non-warm-and-wooly items (filmy shawls, for instance) I feel flooded with endless hope and potential.  
Ideas burgeon at an astonishing rate, faster than I can write them down.
Naturally this necessitated a foray into my chaotic fiber den knitting room to paw thru old projects and yarn.  
I happened across a project I last worked on in January 2000. Yup, 2000.  An Aran style vest designed by Janet Szabo (Big Sky Knitting Designs) called Cables 101. 

The yarn is Plymouth Yarns' Galway in a dusty heathery grayish green.

Now, I have No Idea for whom I was knitting it.  It is far too big for me, and my husband is hostile to vests. (Ask me not how I am sure of this.) My oldest son at the time was maybe 5.
No clue.  The only thing I remember - and this is sort of crazy- is sitting in a window at Pocono Manor (on vacation with my family), knitting while son #3 napped, and watching my husband and other 2 sons skate on the outdoor ice rink. I vividly remember this because there was a moment when I realized-- I have learned everything I need to learn from this project.  I put it down and never picked it up again. 

Well, until Friday.  So in the interests of decluttering I am wondering-- what now?  It is knit flat, rather than in the round (a choice I would never make at this point, unless forced to do so by some insurmountable issue-- and even then I might not) and I am part way up the back- maybe 2/3 of the way to the armholes.  I almost ripped it out to restart it (in the round this time... oh and maybe with this other cable instead... except I think I would prefer the bottom to not be ribbed... and no more bobbles... wait, let me look thru this cables stitch directory, there is a great cable I remember... And on and on my mind went in its January knitting overabundance of ideas and enthusiasm. Sigh)
(Seriously? You are going to totally rip and reknit a project you don't even have a use for?)
This time I had the sense to realize- nope- probably not going to restart this project with this yarn.  
So-- what then? Maybe turn it into a child's cardigan? 
Here is the thing. I know the truth-- the year is not, in fact, endless.  There are many many projects I want to finish first. (Not all of them are knitting)  I will sooner or later run out of time.  
Sigh.  
What to do.  
Open to any ideas!  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

If it's December I must be making another Very Warm Hat

Pelerine Complete

Pelerine