Off to Denmark

Somehow I don't think you want to hear about the utter fiasco involved in our train trip from Paris to Charles de Gaulle airport, for our flight to Denmark. You really don't. Luckily, the boulangerie where we'd intended to eat breakfast was not open on time, so we got off to an earlier start than we'd planned. Believe me, we needed the time.
Suffice it to say, our plans were fine. It was what the RER did to its passengers that morning that was a bit challenging ;)

We flew into Copenhagen, then into Arhus. I apologize, the A in Arhus should have a little circle over it but I can't seem to achieve that here.
This is a fresco of St Clement, the patron saint of Arhus, as it is a seagoing city. I am not sure how old this fresco is, as I speak zero Danish, and my English translation of the cathedral info was not helping me. But the cathedral in Arhus was fascinating (and a wonderful escape from the deluge that came out of nowhere, and I mean nowhere, on a lovely sunny clear day). It pre-dates the Reformation and is an interesting mix of Catholic and Protestant, Gothic and Nordic elements. I loved it.
This boat hangs in the left transept. I love the white walls matched with the soaring Gothic arches, decorated with frescoes and other painting.

The altar piece predates the Reformation, and is truly stunning. Handcarved wood, the painting of the faces makes them look like porcelain.
As I implied above, the weather while I was in Arhus was a trifle unpredictable. Annoyingly, I went back to my room to return my rainjacket after breakfast, since the weather was so fine. While I was admiring the cathedral, with about 9,000,000 other people (busloads), I noticed a truly weird noise. It was the enormous raindrops, in enormous numbers, hitting the walls and windows.

Luckily it let up enough, eventually, for me to walk to Marianne Isager's shop a few blocks away. For those of you who do not know of her, she is a very talented Danish knitting designer. She has a complete line of yarns (mostly she likes to work with fairly fine gauges) and many books. One has been translated to English, thanks to Meg Swansen falling in love with it, and harassing Interweave into publishing a translation. Knitting out of Africa.
I purchased some yarn from her for one of the sweaters, which I will have to post tomorrow, or later. I am really a Blogger rookie and sometimes the addition of photos later just slays me.

I do want to say, along the lines of Denmark's weather (and before I go on, let me say that I really loved Denmark)-- their weather is highly changeable and unpredictable!

Here are a couple of photos from the place I investigated the third day in Denmark. Can you guess?


Comments

vanessa said…
that hanging boat is too much!

Popular posts from this blog

If it's December I must be making another Very Warm Hat

Pelerine Complete

Pelerine