Post Camp

Camp is over (OK, it's a Retreat, technically) but my mind is jam-packed with ideas, concepts and project plans.
Needless to say, a few items came home with me, which I'll tell about but first--
When I got home I found something waiting for me: A bag full of small reels of all of the Jamieson Spindrift colors.
Some friends bought all the colors, and divided them up for a bunch of us to share, and this morning I finally sat down to look through them.
Ostensibly, I was verifying they were all there. Really I was playing with them, and delighting in the colors colors colors! I put them all on a piece of parachute cord, in order, but that will not last long.
Aren't they glorious?
My roommate this year was a wonderfully talented Fair Isle designer, teacher and (of course) knitter. She stands in front of a collection of colors and sees things: pulls out this and that and suddenly has the beginnings of something tremendous.
I find her inspirational, naturally, as my gifts seem to lie in other directions. (That is a nice way of describing my overwhelmed condition when faced with a wall of colors)
So the timely arrival of these colors is greatly appreciated.
I also returned with some lace-weight yarn (shocking I know). This is alpaca, hand-dyed by the talented and delightful Cheryl Oberle. She usually brings some of her yarn with her, to Camp, to sell on Market Day. I don't believe she ever has any left over...
I wish this photo could convey more accurately the flow of color (slightly variegated from pinks to reds)... and that you could feel the silky hand of the alpaca.
I wanted to be sure that a very lacey pattern would still "show" thru the mild variegation, and it does indeed. I don't generally care for variegation in lace knitting, as the color variation can obscure the details of the lace. But sometimes it works well (my ribcooler last year at camp was knit in a variegated Possum Lace yarn from Cherry Tree Hill) and mild variegation, in similar shades, can add richness, as with a heathered yarn.
The color and the hand of this yarn thrill me. It's good "petting yarn."
More to come!




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

If it's December I must be making another Very Warm Hat

Pelerine Complete

Pelerine