Merry Christmas

Merry Christmas, all.

Hoping yours was as wonderful as mine. We are now in our new home, it is wonderful and feels like home right from the git-go, and I simply cannot think of anything to be unhappy about. (not like I'm trying to be unhappy or anything.)

Room for my stash, my books, my knitted objects, my lace-blocking... oh yeah, and room for my family too! ;)

I would like to suggest that moving into a home on December 22 can be a trifle stressful. However, when the home is as yummy as ours, even the stress is nice.

I have promised to teach a lace knitting class after we get settled in, and am thinking about first-time lace knitting concepts. Looking for opinions for the following:

  • Good yarn for first project
  • Good concept for first project
  • Remind me to tone down my expectations and class plans, since lace knitting comfort rarely arrives overnight

I am thinking of a rectangular shawl (possibly a scarf for the nervous-of-too-big-a-project, quite possibly a very wise position come to think of it) so the yarn's texture (against-the-skin feel) will matter.

I am thinking there shouldn't be too much halo to the yarn, as it's harder to rip out (so Kid Silk Haze is out)

Not too fine a yarn, either, as learning to manipulate a very fine yarn takes some time, for some of us, and might unduly tax a new lace knitter. I want them to concentrate on techiniques and reading their knitting, rather than frustration with tensioning a super-fine yarn.

Any opinions eagerly solicited.

Merry Christmas

Comments

Nancy said…
Merry Christmas! Three cheers to your new house! On the beginning lace knitting - perhaps a hap shawl or a Shetland tea shawl or even EZ's Pi shawl? Those can be knit in thicker yarns.... (I don't know what your group would have available!)
Anonymous said…
Hi Maggie - congrats on the new house - it's so important to feel comfortable in your own home.

I struggled with lace weight yarns (I still haven't completed a real lace weight project, though that's mostly due to other knitting priorities right now - I have successfully swatched). My first lace project was actually done with some stuff that was almost fingering weight, and I also did a lace project with knitpicks bare fingering weight.

Both were light enough to appear somewhat lacey (I used larger needles than laceweight would warrant), and the yarn was substantial enough for me to see what was going on, and not to have to fight the yarn every minute.

Needle choice is important, too!
Diane in Oregon said…
oops - I didn't mean to make that anonymous...

Diane in Oregon
Anonymous said…
Hi Maggie,
How exciting to be in a new home! We moved on December 22 also...but a number of years ago. I just happened on your blog from your ravelry page. What about the Stonington Shawl? There is knitting that is not lace but a nice project for a beginning lace knitter. Let me know what you decide. I have not touched my yarn purchased at camp but am hoping to get going on a lace project soon. Enjoy your new home and email when you find the time. Hugs, Jane

Popular posts from this blog

If it's December I must be making another Very Warm Hat

Pelerine Complete

Pelerine