New Year's Eve 2016

It has just occurred to me that one of my sons has to return to college tomorrow afternoon.
Since he (#2) is the single-color hat recipient, and I haven't done much in a day or so, I had better get cracking.
So this will be short.

I want to post pictures of a new book I opened yesterday.  We open our Christmas gifts gradually over time (often into January) but due to son #2 leaving on the first, we did a mass finish-up yesterday.  I got this:



Which was on my Christmas list, due to Meg Swansen's review of it.  (Scroll down if you follow the link, it is in the Scandinavian section of her blog post).


Now, whether or not you want to knit these adorable, creative, charming, entertaining mittens, the book is a delight and the charts are quite excellent.  

Check out the owl.  As you see, the palm and the back of the mitten are different, just like an owl itself ðŸ˜Ž




And the cow.




This is where Meg became overcome by giggles (so to speak)-- the cow wraps from front to back on the mitten. To see the whole cow you hold right and left mittens side by side.

(Sorry about the glare on the book, that is me, not the original photo)

Seriously charming.

(I might knit the sheep mittens for myself.)

A very well-done and creative book, providing smiles and, I am sure, much knitting joy.





On a totally different topic, last night my husband and I attended a performance of A Child's Christmas in Wales, by Dylan Thomas.  It was adapted for the stage, and the performance was by The Shakespeare Theatre of New Jersey.

His life (Dylan Thomas' I mean) makes some sad reading- alcoholism and an early death cut short a frankly brilliant way with words- but the play as performed was utterly delightful.

There was not massive drama, violence, or angst.

There was an adept and loving presentation of a family at Christmas which (sorry for the hackneyed phrase but it is very apt) warms the heart.
There was delightful music (to be expected from anything to do with the Welsh)

I am so glad I saw it and I cannot recommend it highly enough.

Obviously you need to live reasonably close to Madison, NJ, in order to go, but as it is only running through the first of January (that's, um, tomorrow) my recommendation is probably rather pointless.

But it was a delightful play, and I suspect the original (not for stage) is equally so.  My husband has been reading about the original- apparently it was the start of the audio book in the USA.

Finally, just because I love them and it is New Year's Eve and I feel like it, a gratuitous picture of my children from Christmas Eve, after church, and the cranky-at-being-held-suspended dog.

Christmas Eve 2016



I am off to frantically knit son #2's hat, and to make the chocolate mousse I promised for dessert tonight.
Happy New Year.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

If it's December I must be making another Very Warm Hat

Pelerine Complete

Pelerine