Best Laid Plans

Yesterday I missed out on my usual Sunday knitting spell (during a soccer game) and instead worked on my Shetland shawl when we got home.
My husband commented that my shawl was looking really good. Naturally I had to hold it up, stretch it out some, for him to more accurately admire it.
Pride truly goeth before destruction... because the circular needle holding my stitches dropped the last 8 inches of knitting off both ends.
No biggie, I can pick it up.
True, and I did, and some of it was easy to fix. Most had not run madly in all directions.

Except for one really bad section which overwhelmed me so much I threw the shawl in the corner to work on today.
The fact the row just completed had a fair number of yarnovers and decreases, and it was true lace (every row has action: preceding rows also yarnovers and decreases) and for some crazy reason quite a bit of it just melted away thru several rows worth of work.

This was one of the worst of the messed-up-motifs
This is what it is supposed to look like: This is how it looked after I tried to pick up all loose loops.
Rather nasty.So let's get some black behind it, my glasses on, lots of extra skinny needles to hold the various stitches, and drop off the mess.Many groans later, once lying flat on my back (this is a disaster, I cannot do this!) I had that section fixed. I am sorry, I should have taken more pictures and shown the rows as they went but it was just too fiddly to put down and grab my camera. It will block out and ultimately look fine.
I did have some bits that are not technically garter stitch lace anymore but I am fine with the end result.
(Galloping Horse Rule)

Thankfully, the other messed up areas were all easier than the first one (which needed to be taken down 5 rows to fix properly).
Knitted another row and here's the repaired section:


Not too bad!

Needless to say, my legs and neck were cramped and sore after being bent over this thing for an hour.
And the run I intended to take first thing this AM has not happened yet.

But it feels good to have conquered that baby.

Comments

EmmaSimone said…
I just read your blog for the first time after being referred to it eons ago. I love your lace knitting. It's inspired me for the two shawls I'll be knitting as Christmas gifts for my MIL and SIL this year. I look forward to seeing more photos of your beautiful work.

Popular posts from this blog

If it's December I must be making another Very Warm Hat

Pelerine Complete

Pelerine