Back soon I promise!

I am so sorry.

We have just finished a fairly stressful move, I am still surrounded by boxes, and we have been attacked by a Vengeful Verizon (or so I suppose) and are struggling along on dial-up, with no certain end in sight.

Now, we had dial-up for a long time, but I have decided that blogging about knitting is dullsville without photos and, well, have you ever tried to upload a decent photo on dialup?

Right.

That said, I decided to try. Guess what?

Camera has gone berserk, can't even do that. Truly berserk. Won't do anything, acts possessed. Maybe it doesn't like knitting? (Ban it!!)

Talk about aurgh!

Anyway, I have to tell you about my knitting without photos, which is rather dull, but I'll try anyway.

Red shawl, kid seta. Various Estonian patterns and some self-generated Nupp-filled patterns: Almost done (5 rows from cast-off).
And being inspired by Estonian shawls, it has a genuine cast off, which they do with doubled yarn. It adds some heft to the edge, as well as some visual substance, and helps prevent rolling if the shawl is stockinette-based.

My shawl is garter based, as I think st st vs garter distinction is hard to see in a hairy yarn like Madil's Kid Seta, and not really worth the effort of those return purl rows. (Yes, it's true, I dislike long endless rows of purl. Love texture patterns, just generally hate having to do an entire blank purl row. ) Nevertheless I am going to go with tradition and do the typical bindoff. Besides, I like it.

(For an example of a lovely shawl using Estonian motifs and techniques, see Evelyn Clark's Estonian Garden Stole. I knit it, also, and there are photos way back in, maybe, my June or July blogposts, but I can't find them on this SLOW machine, I am so sorry.)

On a different note, I really wanted to post photos of the yarn I just received. Stunning is all I can say. The phone conversation went like this:

DH Honey, were you expecting a package from China?
Me Um...
DH It wouldn't have anything to do with knitting, would it?
Me Um... well
DH ...Because there was a package from China at the post office today.
Me Did it have nifty Chinese stamps?
DH Stamps? Um, I suppose it did, let me look (rustling noises)-- yep, it does have some neat stamps.
Me Great! Thanks honey.
DH (Brief silence) ...so, were you expecting this?
Me Of course! It's from Mongolia. Thanks a lot.
DH (still in the dark, shaking his head)

It is yarn from Mongolia: 300 grams of pure cashmere, lace weight.

Red, pale peach, and a sort of natural beigy/gold color.

The red is to die for. Truly gorgeous.

The good news is that I cannot achieve a realistic photo of red yet, even with a functional camera, and you'd just hear "well, this isn't quite right but oh well"- - so you're saved from that. :)

I am so sad I cannot show you! (plus those nifty stamps) I got it from Yubina, and while the pics of the colors are a bit, ah. frustrating to choose through (teeny leetle pics), I understand through Fleegle that they will send you a sample card or samples of colors you want to see, if you ask. I just was too fired up in my order to pause and ask. If you love laceweight, and you love cashemere-- go for it. Of course, they have other yarns.

I can neither confirm nor deny that any others are winging their way to me right now. :)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

If it's December I must be making another Very Warm Hat

Pelerine Complete

Pelerine